Friday, April 4, 2014

Got the Blue

So Ive been interested in blues in plating and dishes mostly because its absent in cooking in general. I believe I saw some interesting broth that was blue in the COCO book by some tea centric restaurant in Asia. Turns out red cabbage imparts the obvious color but can change blue by adding a small amount of baking soda. I think I saw a list of food/color reactions when certain reactive ingredients are introduced in Modernist Cuisine or some book like that. IE keeping green beans from turning brown and I think even changing the color of beets.

Well I had some small red cabbage in the fridge and some free time today so I have it a whirl.

Seems to work well. Im going to try and making syrups of both and infusing a portion with some flavor or another. Maybe garlic or rosemary or savory type thing. Or maybe citrus rind or some aromatic flower from the garden.




Apparently there are foods that use colors like this. One example being Pulut Tai Tai. A glutinous rice dish from Southeast Asia.




No comments:

Post a Comment