Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dork Dayz




Went to the Seattle International Knife Expo. Saw some amazing knives. Looking forward to a larger group of makers next year. Definitely keeping my appetite moist for things cutlery. 

Also stopped in to Epicurean Edge and walked with a few things I have been fixated on. Namely a Kitayama 8000 grit whetstone and a stone base.

Also grabbed a instructional video from Murray Carter to further round of my understanding of sharpening and honing.

Finished with an Afghan buffet down the street. Pretty okay day.




Always need a little Dr Katz to mellow the mind.




Returning knives to 1000/6000 grits before polish.


New Kitayama ready to polish my Masakage.



My gear. Oihishi 600 grit. Naniwa 220 grit. Shun 1000/6000 grit. Wusthof super slicer. Chinese Cleaver. Wasabi Deba. Victorinox boner. Kitayama 8000 grit with Nagura. Sabatier slicer. Usuba. Shun Petty. Shun Paring. Shun 10 inch chef. Masakage 270mm gyuto. Ceramic honing rod.

Sis is enjoying the Miyabi Santoku which was replaced with the Usuba.






Ive had the stainless handle Shun for 10 years. I re profiled the edge and its taking a good polish now. The Kitayama is getting a nice mirror on all the edges. The Shuns are good workhorses although Im thoroughly enjoying the new Gyuto and the Usuba is taking a wonderful edge. Making intricate veggie work possible and fun.

 Really anxious to get a 10 or 12k stone for the best polish I can get. Also looking to experiment with natural stones if I come into money. Want to control myself. Its started to remind me of my bicycle component and frame purchasing of years past. The polishing is actually reminding me of some work I was doing on bicycle components IE stems and seat posts.




Lastly a little impromtu dinner yesterday. Uli's Chorizo. Rohtkol and Potatoes with Paella Seasoning.
Pretty good sweet and spicy and Savory.





Lastly realized I can make vinegar infused with chive blossoms. And it imparts a cool pink/red color.

Im going to let it go another day or two and make a vinaigrette thats hopefully got some color and flavor.




No comments:

Post a Comment